Mountain Bike Anatomy
A mountain bike is the one thing you need before you go mountain biking. A mountain bike contains many parts, which will be covered below:
1. Bottom bracket – This attaches the crankset to the body of a bike.
2. Brake cable – This is the cable that connects the brake lever to the brake mechanism.
3. Brake lever – The lever on the handlebar to activate the brakes. The left side is the front brake and the right side is the rear brake.
4. Chain – The circular set of links that transfer power from the chain ring to the cogs.
5. Chain ring – The toothed rings that attach to the crank to hold the chain.
6. Crank – The lever that extends from the bottom bracket to the pedal, transferring the power to the chain rings.
7. Derailleur – The mechanism for moving the chain from one cog to another.
8. Down tube – The section of frame that extends downward from the stem to the bottom bracket.
9. Front shock – The shock absorber on the front fork.
10. Handlebar – The horizontal bar attached to the stem with handgrips on the end.
11. Headset – The mechanism in front of the frame that connects the front fork to the stem and handlebars.
12. Hub – The center part of the wheel that the spokes are attached to.
13. Idler pulley – The bottom pulley of the rear derailleur that provides spring tension to keep the chain tight.
14. Nipple – A threaded receptacle that holds the end of the spoke to the rim.
15. Pedal – The platform to pedal on; attaches to the crank.
16. Rear shock – The shock absorber for the rear tire on dual suspension type bikes.
17. Rim – The metal ring that holds the spokes on the inside and the tire to the outside.
18. Saddle – The seat.
19. Seat post – Offers support for the seat.
20. Skewer – The metal rod that goes through the hub, attaching the wheel to the dropouts of the frame.
21. Spindle – The free rotating axle that the crank arms attach to; also a part of the bottom bracket.
22. Spokes – The thick wires that join the hub to the rim.
23. Stem – A piece that attaches the handlebar to the steering tube.
24. Wheel hub – The center of the wheel that the spokes are attached to.